Tuesday, December 26, 2006

nostalgia tuesday.

Being the day after Christmas, I decided to reminisce (did I spell that right??) about some of the Christmas gifts I received as a child. Some of them were extremely popular at the time, and some of them have stood the test of time and are still popular.

  • a Mickey Mouse watch (wish I still had it; it would be collectible EBay-able material now.) I really wanted a Strawberry Shortcake digital watch (digital watches were the new thing then), but I ended up being perfectly happy with the Mickey Mouse one.
  • a Baby Alive doll. With the powdered baby food and diapers and everything. I named her Maya. She had a little yellow dress and curly hair, and I remember I loved her very much. I think I was a pretty good mom too.
  • an Easy Bake oven. I baked several cakes with that thing, including a birthday cake for my dad. I really thought I had it going on, like Betty Crocker or Julia Child or something.
  • a black and yellow race-car big wheel. It had a timer on it and came with orange road cones so you could time yourself. I would go really fast, then pull up the break and spin around. It would make this schreeching noise just like fast cars spinning out do. That thing was so much fun. I wore it out.
  • a pink Huffy Princess Power bike. I wore that thing out too. It was for me at the time to pop wheelies on it, even though I wanted to. I figured eventually I would upgrade to a BMX bike. Never did.
  • a Malibu Barbie. I had so many Barbies. They were great fun. Never got the Dream House or the RV or the McDonalds or the Pink Corvette, but I did get the Silver Corvette one year. That was cool.
  • a little Strawberry Shortcake playhouse. It was shaped like a big strawberry and would close up and you could carry it like a little case. Inside fit Strawberry Shortcake (who smelled like fruity goodness) and her furniture, which included a stove. She also had little pies with fixings that you could mix and match. I loved that toy.
When I was little, cable tv and Sony Walkmans were the in things to get, along with Ataris and Commodore 64's. And Apple Computers were just beginning to get popular. Now I've got a MacBook Pro on my wish list this year, my son loves his new IPod Nano and is begging me for an XBox 360, and cable tv just wouldn't be the same without Tivo. I guess we've come a long way.

No comments: