Tuesday, May 25, 2010

day 257: getting over it in a BIG way.

I had a photo shoot for a friend and her two sons this evening. I am really excited about the photos; they came out lovely. I really hope she likes them too.

While I was waiting for them to arrive at the location, I took a quick self-portrait.

Months ago, I said I was going to get over myself and stop loathing the idea of being in front of the camera, and by golly I have made a whole lot of progress in that area. I started thinking about preserving images of myself for my children and grandchildren, and how I wish I had more photos of my parents and grandparents. That really helped me get over it. I've never looked at the photos I do have of my parents and thought, "Wow, that's an awful picture of him/her," or, "Wow. How unflattering," or, "What IS that thing on his/her face??" Or, "Wow. They're really unattractive."

I am just so happy that I have a few images of them that are not just in my head that I can share with others, like my own children. To me, they are so beautiful, because they are my family and I love them immensely. I have a feeling my children and grandchildren would want the same thing from me, so they would have something to share with their families. When one looks at it that way (which I really feel is the RIGHT way), it's a lot less difficult to position oneself in front of the camera and press the shutter.

Digital Field Guide: read an article on my Nikon School app.

No comments: