Friday, November 12, 2010

crock pot wednesday: a two-fer.

Well, here it is. Friday. And I'm just now getting around to telling you what I made on WEDNESDAY.

It happens like that sometimes.

I made an old stand-by that is quite popular in my house. Pot roast.

Here were my ingredients.
Liquid smoke, some lemon pepper seasoning, some cumin, and black pepper.

And, of course, the meat. A boneless beef chuck roast.

I threw the roast in the pot, added what was left of the bottle of liquid smoke, and seasoned liberally with the other spices.

Then I realized I wasn't through. I hadn't added anything that I normally add. I almost forgot the Worcestershire. So I added it. And some steak sauce. Then I added a couple of cups of RC Cherry cola. And a cup of water. And I should have taken a picture of these other ingredients (not the water... you know what that looks like.), but of course, in my haste, I did not. I apologize.

Suffice it to say, I used a generic brand of Worcestershire sauce and steak sauce that I need to finish so I can get to the good, regular stuff in my cabinet: Lea and Perrins and A-1.

I cooked that on high for six hours.

Got home and had to wolf it down so that I could get to church to lead worship. So, no picture of the finished product. Fail.

I will say that it was quite tasty. But pot roast is always tasty. It's pretty difficult to screw that up. The minute I got home I whipped up some instant garlic mashed potatoes, and had that with the roast.

Here is the food bill. The only thing I had to buy was the roast itself. (Didn't bother with vegetables this time, although I usually have them in the pot as well.)

chuck roast (AND TOTAL SPENT): $6.05

I am gonna reeeeally try and not be in such a hurry next week, so that I can manage to get some decent shots of the ingredients and whatnot.

And now, to figure out what will be on the menu next Wednesday.

3 comments:

Jersey Diva Mom said...

ooohh- how much of a hero will I look like to my hubs & boys whipping this up on Sunday? YUMMM!

Unplanned Cooking said...

I've never tried liquid smoke but love that flavor in foods. Thanks for the tip!

Lala's Pequenos said...

Awesome! Thank for the recipe!! I can just smell it now...