Friday, November 12, 2010

crock pot wednesday. but on thursday. again.

[This post is brought to you by She Who Lets Days Get Away From Her.
No, seriously, with last weekend being pretty awful with a sick child, and never getting around to finishing this post on that Wednesday or Thursday, I just decided to post this with this week's crock pot meal. So you get a two-fer this week!]

So. As I said... Tuesday I think it was? Wednesday was just gonna be impossible. So I moved my crock pot meal to Thursday. A lot less stress, and I could actually sit down and eat some when it was done cooking. Good thing I did that too, since there was a bit of prep work that went into making it.

And what was it that I made? Jambalaya.

I adapted the recipe from this one that I found on my allrecipes.com app on my iPhone.

Here were my ingredients.
One onion, chopped, one red bell pepper, chopped, and one yellow bell pepper, chopped. Because I like colorful bell peppers.

One cup of chicken broth, two cans of diced tomatoes and their juice (only one pictured in the photo... sorry), two teaspoons of dried thyme, two teaspoons of dried parsley, two teaspoons of Cajun seasoning, one teaspoon of Cayenne pepper (though I was a tad light-handed with the Cayenne).


And some meat. One fourteen-ounce package of beef smoked sausage, sliced, and one package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into roughly one-inch pieces.

And some shrimp. Two bags of raw, peeled, deveined medium-sized shrimp, with the tails off.

I threw in my chopped vegetables.

Then I added my meat, followed by the broth and the tomatoes and spices. Once everything was in, I mixed it together and cooked it on high for four hours.

Thirty minutes before it was done, I added the shrimp. I also cooked some rice, using one cup of water and one cup of chicken broth. And I made some cornbread.

The pot smelled so good. And it looked good in my bowl.

And it was yummy. Yummy yum yum.

I will definitely be making this again.  It's probably my favorite crock pot meal I've made so far this season, along with the peach salsa chicken.

Here is the cost breakdown of everything that went into my pot.

spices: $1.64 (thyme)
            $1.64 (oregano)
            $1.99 (cayenne)
            $1.69 (parsley)
            $1.00 (Cajun)
sausage: $2.99
chicken: $4.99 (It's cheaper at Target than at Publix)
shrimp: $6.39 each
onion: $.77
red bell pepper: $1.29
yellow bell pepper: $2.54
chicken broth: $1.99
tomato: $.59 (I already had one can on hand, so I only bought one)
TOTAL FOR EVERYTHING THAT WENT INTO MY CROCK POT: $35.90

Yes, that was a lot. But we ate out of that meal for four or five days.

And since this post is actually posting THE FOLLOWING FRIDAY (Geesh Natalyn get it together ma! lol), you all will be treated to TWO crock pot posts this weekend. So, yay!

[All of these photos are SOOC, and not very good. I took them hastily. I take waaaay better SOOC photos than these on the regular. TRUST.]

1 comment:

L. Eleana Johnson said...

This looks really good! Thanks for another great recipe. So far, I haven't been led wrong, lol!

Have a great weekend.