Thursday, August 26, 2010

homeschooling log 2010: chapter three.

My little ones had a wonderful first day at Master's Academy.

My son is in the Jasper class this year, and his teachers are all wonderful. They have a history class, an art class, a drama class, and a music class. Of course, with little four and five year-olds, the classes are definitely more activities than anything else. But Ian had a fun time and I am so glad we have a program like this to be a part of. This is my ninth year teaching there (we started when Bobby was five) and it has been a real blessing.

A real blessing, and a long day. But Master's days are always long. We know that going into it. Good days, but long days. I've decided that on those days (two each week) we'll get take out for one of the days and have crock pot meals or sandwiches the other days.

We went out for dinner tonight. Longhorn's. Yes, "Longhorn's." (See this post.) We don't usually do something that fancy. We hadn't eaten there in over a year. But it was the first day and I just wanted to do something a little special for the kids.

Now, when we normally go to a restaurant, it's all of us. Meaning, my husband is there too.

I should have remembered that, I think, and opted to get takeout pizza or something.

Mind you, my kids are not rambunctious or troublemakers or anything like that. But I did have to keep them constantly occupied with their toys and the little booklets they give you at the restaurant and things like that, so that they would stay seated and not keep trying to stand up in the booth and turn around and have conversations with the other patrons. I succeeded, but it was still a lot of work. And I was already tired after a long day.

But the food was good. And the kids ate their broccoli. (Natalie does anyway; Ian is my finicky eater but he ate well too and I was glad.)

And. Ian started writing his letters. In his little booklet. Without my prompting him to do so.

He's reading his letter sounds well (Natalie is too, and that's exciting). But he hasn't wanted to try to write them without my help. Ian is my perfectionist and does not like to attempt something if he cannot do it perfectly. Even despite my encouragement, if he feels he hasn't done something well he gets dejected very easily.

Well, this evening he totally took the initiative and wrote all of his letters himself! I was so proud of him. Bobby gave him a high-five, and Natalie did too and even told him "Good job, Ian!" That totally made my day. And it had already been a great day.

8 comments:

mnpolutta said...

Natalyn, I have one of those perfectionist kids, too. Can you guess which one? When she was 4, she tried to write the number 5. When it wasn't perfect, she was so angry and wouldn't hear us tell her that it was really just great that she tried. She is still the same way.

Glad to know your first days of homeschooling this year have gone well. I'm sure there is never a dull moment with your kids.

See you on Monday.
~Natalie

Candra Georgi said...

scott was beaming about them yesterday. he was so proud. even when i went to bed i was smiling about how much scott loved his kids and was proud of them. he was like bobby this and ian that and natalie this. he was so missing all of y'all.

Kelsey said...

I can see my daughter being like this too. She was a late talker, not because she isn't smart, but she was too self concious to TRY. She didn't want to say anything wrong and be embarrassed. We've been working hard and her confidence is slowly growing.

I'm so happy that you had such a special day!

Unknown said...

I just decided to homeschool our son. What is Masters Academy? Is that a place where homeschoolers meet in your area? Dinner out with the family sounds lovely- we haven't been in a while. I found you at blog frog.

L. Eleana Johnson said...

I love that your kid is a perfectionist, I used to be a perfectionist before mommyhood. Reading your posts reminded me that we haven't been out together as a family in a long time. Glad you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day. It is always exciting for me when my son does school type work on his own (without me prompting him). I hope you all have a great year!

Unplanned Cooking said...

Our son is a perfectionist and it's tough to teach him. He gets so frustrated so easily.

Stopping by from BF.

Cleverly Changing said...

Thanks for keeping us up to date about your homeschooling. I look forward to reading about your adventures. http://cleverlychanging.com/?p=627