Saturday, December 12, 2009

dec. 11: the best place.

The absolute best place for me this year has been in my husband's arms.

Now, I know that sounds cheesy and sappy and borderline-lame and eye-roll-worthy, but just hear me out.

My husband and I had never been apart for more than one or two days until he started doing project work out of town. This year he was going many places, some of which were so far away that I couldn't really drive to visit him. Like San Jose, California! And some of the trips were long. When he did a stint in Albany, New York at the end of 2008, he was there for two months. I went without seeing him for two weeks before I drove all the way up there with my three kids in tow. Two weeks can feel like two years.

So, when we would finally be face-to-face again, even though he was out of town, it was like coming home. It was like that every time I drove up to Nashville. It was like that every time I drove up to Charlotte. It was even like that when he flew to Chicago that morning in July and I drove eleven hours the same day to meet him in Chicago that night.

When you've been married for a while, it's easy to get lost in the routine of life and take things for granted. Like, just being together. Sitting next to each other. Eating dinner together. Having a conversation that is not over the phone. Being apart for these little stints of time have helped me to recognize every moment I have with my husband for what it is: something to cherish. And every time I am in his arms it totally feels like the best place on earth.

3 comments:

Dijea said...

It does not sound cheesy - it sounds wonderful.

Carrie said...

I've heard that when you find the right one for you, it feels like coming home.

Johanna said...

lovely sentiments Natty.
my husband once went away for 6 months of training and it was just as you have explained. i swore that i would never take him g=for granted again after that.