Sunday, December 20, 2009

dec. 20: new person.

Today's question is, "Who is your unsung hero of 2009?"

I thought of a couple of people for this, but I will mention just one. Here is her story.

It hits home for me because I have been through a divorce and I know what it is like to have your husband leave you. It sucks, big time. There is just nothing right about it. And when you have a family, well...the pain is amplified more than you can imagine.

This friend of mine had six children when her husband left. They divorced, and she found herself a single mother raising these six children, the youngest of which was three.

I don't know exactly when it happened, but when I met her she was single. Soon after I met her, she had remarried, and seemed very happy. Not long after that, she found out she was pregnant with her seventh child.

A couple of years after meeting her, I have gotten to know her better this year. She has a new beautiful baby who is walking around in unadulterated cuteness, in addition to her other beautiful children, and she is facing another divorce.

The details of what she has been through and is going through are just about insufferable. And those are just the details that I know. I am not going through it; she is. I thought what I had been through was painful, and it was. I have a hard time fathoming her situation. A broken heart/marriage/family one time in life is too much; twice is...well...it just shouldn't be. It is wrong on every level.

And yet, every time I see her, she is...I won't say chipper necessarily, but definitely calm and doing something a little more than just coping. And she has a lot to cope with, including the effects of her situation on her children. But it doesn't keep her from smiling or even laughing. She's trying to hold down more than one job to keep her household afloat, and still manages to be able to laugh and play with her children and laugh and joke with others. I pray for her and her family quite often, and I admire her resilience and resolve. Here's hoping this next year is a much brighter one for her.

No comments: