Thursday, December 24, 2009

dec. 24: learning experience.

"What was a lesson you learned this year that changed you?"

It's a lesson that I had previously learned, but had a timely reminder this year. It has really helped me change my mindset on several things.

The lesson is about fear; specifically, not fearing, as laid out in Philippians 4:6-7...

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace (shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace) which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. (Amplified Bible)

The last quarter of this year has been the absolute worst. Job woes, financial difficulties and uncertainties, and health issues have left me facing a strong temptation to do what I usually do: worry and fret, then buck up and try to "deal with it" all in my own strength. I am just not going to do it anymore. Either I believe God's Word or I don't.

I choose to believe. I choose to be a doer and not a hearer only. And experience that peace that passes all understanding. Which means, I will fear not.

No comments: